Annual Pitchfork and Hay Retreat
A Theological Retreat to Give You Tools for Ministry and Nourishment to Use Them
2019 Dates & Presenter TBD
- MORNINGS are dedicated to presentation and discussion with the keynote speaker. There are optional casual discussion opportunities again prior to supper, but the afternoons are yours to retreat.
- OPTIONAL AFTERNOON ACTIVITIES include time for the sauna, a pool tournament, a massage, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, board games, movies, catching up with colleagues or making new friends, simply sitting by the fire reading or day-dreaming… or taking a nap – you’ve earned it!
- EVENINGS are capped off with wine or other beverages (including non-alcoholic options), snacks and socializing. Please feel free to bring any personal favorites for yourself or to share with the group. And of course this retreat also features Shalom Hill Farm’s wonderful home cooked meals.
Common Ground Rural Immersions
An opportunity for youth to experience rural life, meet local folk, visit farms and production facilities, and reflect on our relationship to the land on which we live and depend.
Your Common Ground experience could include:
- eating (or cooking) a hearty breakfast with farm fresh eggs
- helping with farm chores like gathering eggs or feeding animals
- exploring rural justice issues through study and discussion
- discussing diversity issues with immigrants new to Southwest Minnesota
- breaking down stereotypes
- gathering under a star-lit sky around a bonfire for singing or worship
- meeting a local youth group (church, 4-H, FFA)
- experiencing the breathtaking prairie wind
- impacting people’s lives by doing service projects like painting buildings or gardening
- experiencing rural hospitality and small town life
- participating in farm life
- sharing stories unique to your own life
Your group will have the opportunity to tailor your rural immersion adventures to fit your needs and interests. You may also find that you are able to enrich your congregation’s mission by sharing your discoveries when you return home.
Currently a Rural Immersion Weekend (2 nights lodging/5 meals/& farm visits) cost around $115 per participant. Longer rural immersions are also available and the price will be dependent on lodging nights, meals provided (groups can also bring their own meals), & your programming needs. Programming options could include things like farm and garden tours/visits, team building games, Bible studies, service projects, and much more
For more specific information on the Common Ground Youth Program please call Shalom Hill Farm’s at 507.831.2232
STaR Ministry 101 and 201
Please let us know if you are interested in scheduling a STaR (Small Town and Rural) Ministry class at Shalom Hill Farm
- 101 is an introduction workshop for students and pastors new to the setting
- 201 goes deeper for pastors already serving in a small town and/or rural setting.
Care of Creation
We specialize in offering workshops that focus on Care of Creation and evaluating our place in nature. Please contact us if you have an interest in scheduling a Care of Creation event.